After a great workout with my personal trainer, Kuti, I feel great; but my skin feels sweaty and dirty. So I head straight to the shower. What about my scalp? Isn’t my scalp an extension of the same skin on my face? Yes! What does the salty sweat do to my scalp and hair? Before […]
Looking for a simple and inexpensive remedy for healthier and shinier hair? Honey is a natural alternative to those store bought conditioners in your bathroom. It’s chock full of vitamins and minerals and has a natural ability to attract and retain water. Honey can also be used to lighten your tresses. Here are some great ways to use honey as a natural conditioner and moisturizer for bouncing and behaving hair.
1. Combine a quarter-size drop of honey with a teaspoon of extra virgin oil in a small microwaveable bowl. Mix the two ingredients with a spoon and microwave for 15-30 seconds. Remove and let cool for 30 seconds. Take your hands and evenly disperse the mixture throughout your hair. Massage into your scalp and work down to your ends. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing out with cold water.
2. Combine a quarter-size drop of honey with an equal amount of your regular conditioner. Rub together and evenly disperse throughout your hair (preferably damp). Massage into your scalp and work down to your ends. Let it sit for 30 minutes (under a heated cap if available) before rinsing out with cold water.
3. Combine 1-2 tsp Virgin Coconut oil, 1 tsp honey, 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in a small dish. Mix the ingredients well until you get a smooth paste. Smooth over your damp and keep the mask on your hair for 20-30 minutes…longer if you have the time. Shampoo.
Coffee for Hair Growth
Why stop with your skin when your hair can benefit from caffeine as well? The way that caffeine increases your circulation can be applied to hair growth. When massaged directly into your scalp, caffeine can stimulate the hair follicles to speed up growth. Let brewed coffee chill, and pour it into a spray bottle for easy use. While in the shower, spray the coffee onto roots as an after-cleansing scalp treatment, and allow it to sit for as long as possible. Rinse your hair, and use products as usual. You will likely notice less shedding and increased hair growth with regular use.
Coffee for Hair Color
Women with naturally curly, dark hair have discovered coffee as a great hair color enhancer. It can darken and add shine and dimension to hair. Use very strongly brewed coffee as a hair soak or rinse. Pour it through the hair, and allow it to really sink in. Make sure you protect any light colored clothing or surfaces in your home (line your bathroom with old newspapers or towels), and do not let the coffee run down your face. A shower cap is a great way to keep hair up and protected while doing a treatment. For a thicker moisturizing mask, mix coffee grounds with your favorite oil or conditioner. Your hair will be left shiny with an even tone. These mixtures can be added to henna hair dyes to amplify the darkening effects. You can also add cocoa powder to make the mix even darker!
I use Henna pretty regularly for my curls….so this gives me a GREAT idea!
Courtesy of NaturallyCurly.com
Coffee Beauty for the Face
There’s nothing like waking up to a nice, hot fresh cup of coffee on a crisp, fall morning. I like the smell and the taste more than anything, since coffee does nothing for my energy levels. Even if you are not a coffee drinker, you can still take advantage of it’s beauty benefits for your skin and hair. Read below for some great ideas on how to use coffee for your beauty needs.
Coffee grounds can be used directly on your face and body as a natural scrub. The abrasive texture will scrub off any dull skin, leaving you with a glowing appearance. The caffeine will also act as an energizer for tired skin and puffy eyes, leaving you with a tightened and youthful look. For a stronger scrub, add sugar to your coffee grounds. You can also mix in some olive oil for a moisture boost.
Coffee for Anti-Aging
Not only does coffee awaken skin, the caffeine has also been shown to improve the appearance of cellulite. There are many expensive cellulite reducing products that contain caffeine, but you can easily create your own at home.
Mix two parts coffee grounds with one part water, and add a few drops of tea tree oil. Use a wash cloth or skin brush to massage the mixture onto skin in a circular motion. The tea tree oil will smell great and will add an additional boost to the circulatory system. While the effects may not be instantaneous, you will see smoother and tighter skin over time.
Coconut Oil packs a pretty powerful punch when it comes to your health. Every tablespoon of coconut oil delivers a myriad of wellness benefits, including anti-bacterial, anti-carcinogenic and anti-fungal properties. But when it comes to beauty uses for coconut oil, the possibilities are endless. The good thing is, coconut oil is very affordable, easy to store and completely natural. So head to your nearest supermarket or health food store to stock up on this wonder oil.
1. After Shave-Great moisturizer without clogging your pores. Use it after your shave to prevent razor burn and to ensure a smooth and soft shave on your legs, underarms or anywhere else on your body.
2. Lip Moisturizer-Coconut oil can be used as a natural chapstick. It also has an SPF 4 so you also get a little sun protection. Dab it on your lips to wear alone or underneath your favorite lipstick or lipgloss.
3. Exfoliating facial scrub-Mix a couple teaspoons of coconut oil with oatmeal and cinnamon or baking soda for a great, facial treatment.
4. Eye Cream-Dab a little underneath your eyes to reduce puffiness and wrinkles.
5. Deep Conditioner-Mix with your favorite leave in conditioner or use alone under a heated cap for a deep penetrating treatment.
6. Make Up Remover-Saturate a cotton ball and sweep it across your eyes to remove stubborn eye makeup.
7. Oily Skin Fix – prone to oily skin or an oily T-zone? Use a pea sized amount underneath makeup or alone to reduce the appearance of oil.
8. Stretch Mark Remover-Great for expecting mothers!
9. Blemish Reducer-Mix with nutmeg…leave on for 10 and 15 minutes then wash off.
10. Cuticle Softener- Dab a little bit onto your cuticles with an old makeup brush or a Q-tip to soften and moisturize.
Have you ever considered the endless ways you can use baby wipes? You know, those little, moistened baby fresh towelettes that come in a box??? You would be surprised at how useful they can be around the house..not to mention for your beauty and skin care needs. Even if you don’t have a baby, here’s just a few creative ways you can use good old-fashioned baby wipes.
1. Make-Up Remover: This is an easy one. Baby wipes also work wonders on that hard to remove mascara, eye shadow and eyeliner. Soap and water are still the best at removing makeup. But on those nights when you are too pooped to wash your face properly, baby wipes are the next best thing. Keep a box on your nightstand.
2. Use it on your clothes too: Did you get makeup on your blouse or lipstick on your honey’s collar? Baby wipes can help to remove the incriminating evidence. :)
3. Brush and comb cleaner: Want to remove hair from your comb and brush. Baby wipes are great at removing hair from unwanted surfaces.
4. Cell phone cleaner: We all know that dirty cell phone screens are the perfect breeding ground for acne..caused by dirt, oil and bacteria. Every day, wipe down your screen with a wipe. They’re soft enough to be effective without scratching your screen.
5, Spray on too much perfume?: Wipe away the excess with a baby wipe.
6. Bad hair day?: Tame the flyaways with a fresh wipe.
7. Deodorant Remover: Don’t you hate it when you get that streak of white deodorant on your little black dress? Baby wipes are great at removing this pesky stain.
8. Quick and easy shoe polisher: Don’t have time to get your black leather pumps polished for work? Polish off those scuff marks with a moist wipe. It’s quick, easy and CHEAP!
9. Removes hair dye/henna stains: The next time you accidently stain your forehead or neck after an at-home dye job… clean it away with a baby wipe.
10. Stay fresh on the go-Long day at work? Or did your walk during lunch leave you feeling a little less than fresh? A ‘baby wipe bird bath’ can do the trick!
These are just a few suggestions I was able to come up with. Makes you want to go out and buy a box right now, doesn’t it? :) Do you have some uses for baby wipes that I overlooked?? Feel free to share!
Whether you are a student or a mother, back to school means… back to the grind. Late nights, early mornings and busy days are in your future. You may have to cut back a little on you hour long deep conditioning treatments or your pamper days at the spa. But, that doesn’t mean you have to cut back on being beautiful. You will just have to be a little more creative in how you spend your time. Read the following tips on how to save a few extra minutes in your busy day.
- Splash Cold water on your face in the morning to reduce redness and puffiness . Saturate a wash cloth with cold water and press it on your face for 30 seconds to a minute. This will also help to perk you up. When you have a little extra time (or on the weekends) soak a couple of bags of caffeinated green tea in hot water and allow them to cool to room temperature. Squeeze out the excess water and place them on your closed eyes for a few minutes. This will also take down those puffy bags under your eyes.
- Don’t have the time to apply a full face of make up? Use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. This will add color and give your face the moisture it needs. Sweep a coat of mascara on your eyelashes and you will be good to go. Mascara is a MUST. It opens your eyes and makes them look brighther.
- Use whitening strips on your teeth while doing your morning chores. Odds are now that school is back in session, you will be drinking a couple of extra cups of coffee to wake you up in the morning. Coffee and tea take their toll on your teeth, making them look dull and dingy over time. Whitening strips not only brighten your smile, but they also take years off your face. First thing in the morning, apply the strips then go about your normal morning routine. Before you know it, 30 minutes will have passed and you will have a brighter smile in no time.
Do you have any time saving beauty tips that are your favorite? Feel free to share.