Getting a massage can be a very rewarding and relaxing experience. It is your time to shun away from the worries and concerns of the outside world and let yourself completely go. However, there are somethings that can hamper this experience.
1. Arrive at least 15 minutes early to fill out any necessary paperwork and information. You also want to give yourself time to unwind and relax before your appointment.
2. If you haven’t done so already, remove all perfume and scented lotions/oils. You don’t want to distract your masseuse with scents and fragrances that could possibly lead to an allergic reaction. Also remove all jewelry and tight restrictive clothing. (This also goes without saying, but your body should be clean before getting a massage. Take a shower and don’t go after a long, sweaty workout!)
3. Sometimes I forget this one. Turn your phone on SILENT…NOT VIBRATE. If I can hear my phone vibrate, it always breaks my concentration because I am wondering who is on the other end of the phone. Better yet, leave your phone in your car. You should be able to live without it for an hour or so.
4. Before you head into the massage room, don’t be afraid to point out any areas of tension, tightness or pain on your body. Do you also have preferences for music volume, room brightness and room temperature? If so, let your masseuse know.
5. It also may be a good idea to tinkle before your massage session. The last thing you want is to interrupt your masseuse if or when nature calls.
Keeping these things in mind will enhance the experience for both you and the massage therapist…whether you are a novice or an expert!