If you read my last post, “Do You Know the Skin You’re In’, you’ll remember that I challenged you to look up the ingredients listed on the back of your favorite beauty products. Chances are, you came across a list of long, hard to pronounce words. If you are like me, you want to know what those words mean and how they affect our bodies.
Our skin is our largest organ, covering about 18 square feet of the human body. It protects us, keeps us warm, cools us down and is our first defense in fighting off illness or disease. That is why we need to be extra vigilant in taking care of our skin.
In an effort to educating the public about the toxins and chemicals found in our everyday hair and skin products, Beautycounter has compiled a ‘Never List’. This is a list of ingredients that you will never find in Beautycounter products. I needed this list while I was pregnant. I was so extra careful to take care of my skin and the growing boy inside of my belly. Now that I am nursing, I will carry this list with me to make sure my beauty products meet this standard. Doing Better starts with Knowing Better…so here is a sample of Beautycounter’s ‘Never List’.
Animal fats, oils, and musks: tallow, rendered beef or mutton fat, oils or musks from animals like mink, emu and sharks that are procured after an animal has been killed. Found in: soap, salve, shaving products, lubricants, paints, and all types of cosmetics.
Benzalkonium chloride: a disinfectant used as a preservative and surfactant associated with severe skin, eye and respiratory irritation and allergies. Found in: sunscreens, moisturizers.
Benzophenone and derivatives: a possible human carcinogen and hormone disruptor used as a fragrance ingredient and to absorb ultraviolet light. Found in: nail polish, sunscreen.
Bisphenol A (BPA): a hormone disruptor that may also alter DNA, used in plastics and resins. Found in: plastic bottles, lining of aluminum food cans, possibly in eyeshadow and styling gel.
To see the full list, click here: http://www.beautycounter.com/the-never-list/?ConsultantFirstName=Shani&ConsultantID=103404&ConsultantLastName=Blount
I am looking for a few passionate individuals who believe in putting safe ingredients into the hands of everyone. If this sounds like you, I would love to have you join my BusyBellas team at Beautycounter. If interested, please email me: email@example.com.
Green. Organic. All Natural. We’ve seen these labels everywhere…from our food to our shampoos. They are used so often that I think we’ve just become numb to them. The focus on clean eating has caused millions of people to try juicing, buy the Nutri-Bullet, even to go vegan. While taking charge of our diets and […]
Coffee for Hair Growth
Why stop with your skin when your hair can benefit from caffeine as well? The way that caffeine increases your circulation can be applied to hair growth. When massaged directly into your scalp, caffeine can stimulate the hair follicles to speed up growth. Let brewed coffee chill, and pour it into a spray bottle for easy use. While in the shower, spray the coffee onto roots as an after-cleansing scalp treatment, and allow it to sit for as long as possible. Rinse your hair, and use products as usual. You will likely notice less shedding and increased hair growth with regular use.
Coffee for Hair Color
Women with naturally curly, dark hair have discovered coffee as a great hair color enhancer. It can darken and add shine and dimension to hair. Use very strongly brewed coffee as a hair soak or rinse. Pour it through the hair, and allow it to really sink in. Make sure you protect any light colored clothing or surfaces in your home (line your bathroom with old newspapers or towels), and do not let the coffee run down your face. A shower cap is a great way to keep hair up and protected while doing a treatment. For a thicker moisturizing mask, mix coffee grounds with your favorite oil or conditioner. Your hair will be left shiny with an even tone. These mixtures can be added to henna hair dyes to amplify the darkening effects. You can also add cocoa powder to make the mix even darker!
I use Henna pretty regularly for my curls….so this gives me a GREAT idea!
Courtesy of NaturallyCurly.com
Coffee Beauty for the Face
There’s nothing like waking up to a nice, hot fresh cup of coffee on a crisp, fall morning. I like the smell and the taste more than anything, since coffee does nothing for my energy levels. Even if you are not a coffee drinker, you can still take advantage of it’s beauty benefits for your skin and hair. Read below for some great ideas on how to use coffee for your beauty needs.
Coffee grounds can be used directly on your face and body as a natural scrub. The abrasive texture will scrub off any dull skin, leaving you with a glowing appearance. The caffeine will also act as an energizer for tired skin and puffy eyes, leaving you with a tightened and youthful look. For a stronger scrub, add sugar to your coffee grounds. You can also mix in some olive oil for a moisture boost.
Coffee for Anti-Aging
Not only does coffee awaken skin, the caffeine has also been shown to improve the appearance of cellulite. There are many expensive cellulite reducing products that contain caffeine, but you can easily create your own at home.
Mix two parts coffee grounds with one part water, and add a few drops of tea tree oil. Use a wash cloth or skin brush to massage the mixture onto skin in a circular motion. The tea tree oil will smell great and will add an additional boost to the circulatory system. While the effects may not be instantaneous, you will see smoother and tighter skin over time.
Have you ever considered the endless ways you can use baby wipes? You know, those little, moistened baby fresh towelettes that come in a box??? You would be surprised at how useful they can be around the house..not to mention for your beauty and skin care needs. Even if you don’t have a baby, here’s just a few creative ways you can use good old-fashioned baby wipes.
1. Make-Up Remover: This is an easy one. Baby wipes also work wonders on that hard to remove mascara, eye shadow and eyeliner. Soap and water are still the best at removing makeup. But on those nights when you are too pooped to wash your face properly, baby wipes are the next best thing. Keep a box on your nightstand.
2. Use it on your clothes too: Did you get makeup on your blouse or lipstick on your honey’s collar? Baby wipes can help to remove the incriminating evidence. 🙂
3. Brush and comb cleaner: Want to remove hair from your comb and brush. Baby wipes are great at removing hair from unwanted surfaces.
4. Cell phone cleaner: We all know that dirty cell phone screens are the perfect breeding ground for acne..caused by dirt, oil and bacteria. Every day, wipe down your screen with a wipe. They’re soft enough to be effective without scratching your screen.
5, Spray on too much perfume?: Wipe away the excess with a baby wipe.
6. Bad hair day?: Tame the flyaways with a fresh wipe.
7. Deodorant Remover: Don’t you hate it when you get that streak of white deodorant on your little black dress? Baby wipes are great at removing this pesky stain.
8. Quick and easy shoe polisher: Don’t have time to get your black leather pumps polished for work? Polish off those scuff marks with a moist wipe. It’s quick, easy and CHEAP!
9. Removes hair dye/henna stains: The next time you accidently stain your forehead or neck after an at-home dye job… clean it away with a baby wipe.
10. Stay fresh on the go-Long day at work? Or did your walk during lunch leave you feeling a little less than fresh? A ‘baby wipe bird bath’ can do the trick!
These are just a few suggestions I was able to come up with. Makes you want to go out and buy a box right now, doesn’t it? 🙂 Do you have some uses for baby wipes that I overlooked?? Feel free to share!
Whether you are a student or a mother, back to school means… back to the grind. Late nights, early mornings and busy days are in your future. You may have to cut back a little on you hour long deep conditioning treatments or your pamper days at the spa. But, that doesn’t mean you have to cut back on being beautiful. You will just have to be a little more creative in how you spend your time. Read the following tips on how to save a few extra minutes in your busy day.
- Splash Cold water on your face in the morning to reduce redness and puffiness . Saturate a wash cloth with cold water and press it on your face for 30 seconds to a minute. This will also help to perk you up. When you have a little extra time (or on the weekends) soak a couple of bags of caffeinated green tea in hot water and allow them to cool to room temperature. Squeeze out the excess water and place them on your closed eyes for a few minutes. This will also take down those puffy bags under your eyes.
- Don’t have the time to apply a full face of make up? Use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen. This will add color and give your face the moisture it needs. Sweep a coat of mascara on your eyelashes and you will be good to go. Mascara is a MUST. It opens your eyes and makes them look brighther.
- Use whitening strips on your teeth while doing your morning chores. Odds are now that school is back in session, you will be drinking a couple of extra cups of coffee to wake you up in the morning. Coffee and tea take their toll on your teeth, making them look dull and dingy over time. Whitening strips not only brighten your smile, but they also take years off your face. First thing in the morning, apply the strips then go about your normal morning routine. Before you know it, 30 minutes will have passed and you will have a brighter smile in no time.
Do you have any time saving beauty tips that are your favorite? Feel free to share.
Who knew this seasons sexiest collections and fashion access was conveniently located in the palm of your hand. Digital runway show, one click shopping, and the detectives of fashion are all over the virtual world! I’ll admit it, when it comes to fashion, I’m APP-Happy!
I have collected 6 (six) of this seasons BEST apps for fashion and all things FAB! Continue to read this detailed recap of the hottest style, beauty, and fashion apps of the season combined with everything in between, including organizing your closet right from your smart device. Let’s get started…
*This app oozes Gucci’s excessively SEXY appeal! A mastered mix of Gucci Beats by DJ Mark Ronson sets the stage for this super chic app! Gucci Style allows you to view the latest collections and store listings.This app’s virtual fashion show invites you to feel like you are literally enjoying the collection in person… front row…with a dirty martini…in the company of A-List celebrities…all in the midst of serious swanky decor! Another thing I love about this app is you don’t have to be connected to Wi-Fi to enjoy it!
* iDress for Weather
‘What’s the weather?’ and ‘What do I wear?’ — two questions easily answered with this app. Have you ever had your mind made up about the perfect outfit to wear the next day? Then, you wake up in the morning to find thunderstorms or extreme humidity? With the help of iDress for Weather you can plan that fabulous outfit with the rain, humidity, sun or shine in mind. The best part of it all is that instead of making last minute wardrobe charges due to weather, you get to score an extra hour of sleep! Using iDress for Weather in advance to plan your wardrobe is an excellent fashion forecaster!
The ultimate closet organizer. Snap pics of your clothes and this app does the rest. If you were given a wardrobe tool guaranteed to save you time this would be it. Often times when searching for the perfect ensemble, you find yourself pulling look after look only to find a huge pile of clothes laying around. With Stylebook I can lay in bed or scroll my options at my desk and search my closet at the same time, find the perfect pieces, pull them out, and go. Stylebook is especially useful for finding a last minute evening apparel or a look for a quick business lunch on the go! Definitely a must have time saving app!
Keep up-to-date with all the latest celebrity fashion and beauty news. When at your wits with trying to decided what to wear, why not use a go-to app displaying celebrity fashion? Whether you are looking for a complete look or just searching for inspiration, PopSugar has it all. This app highlights what’s hot in celebrity fashion along with all the fashion trends of the season. Those features alone makes PopSugar the perfect go-to app to transform your individual looks into instant celebrity style.
Lucky At Your Service Digital Concierge
*With the entire magazine devoted to shopping, one would only expect Lucky to have the most amazing shopping app around. The digital concierge lets you highlight their featured products,find where to discover them, check for its availability, and even place the items on hold for in-store same-day pickup. The apps description says it all! Talk about concierge and convenience, Lucky is most definitely at your service. While surfing the magazine you come across a must have dress, now you wonder how the heck do I get? This app conveniently provides the answer in the palm of your hands. Lucky At Your Service Digital Concierge app is a proven resource to get you what you want and when you want it!
* Luxury fashion on the go has never been this easy, thanks to Net-A-Porter’s app. This fashion application offers perfect browsing of the online retailer’s digital magazine, zoom in on specific detailing, and buy directly from your device. Lastly, the fashion insight and inventory are updated at least three times a week.
By Guest Blogger Sparkle Hyche